Sunday, 2 June 2013

Saturday 1st June 2013: In the News this Week

It's the week of Saturday 1st June 2013 and...

Windows 8.1
Microsoft unofficially showed of its next desktop/tablet operating system to various technology journalists and developers earlier this week. It is called Windows 8.1 and it improves on the current Windows 8. It adds various new features, new apps and settings.
Windows 8.1 is making the quite unsuccessful Windows 8 look quite popular and I’ve already seen dozens of tweets from both consumers and developers saying that if Windows 8.1 delivers all Microsoft is promising they will splash out and buy it. In my opinion though Windows 8.1 should have come out last year. The current version of Windows (Windows 8) feels incomplete and if you want to perform basic tasks like listening to XBOX Music you need to navigate through a slow and clunky system until you find the track you want.
Windows 8.1 makes personalisation a lot easier as it lets you use your pictures for more things, it introduces some new apps such as a currency converter, calculator and alarm clock and it brings back the ‘Start’ button. Multi-tasking on Windows 8 only currently allows you to have 2 apps open at the same time on screen (one app taking 75% of the screen and another app taking the remaining 25%), you cannot split the screen 50/50 for apps or have 3 apps open taking up 33% each however in Windows 8.1 this is made possible.
There seems to be hundreds more features that Microsoft has added to Windows 8.1 and I’ll be uploading a post in the near future informing you of all the new and exciting features that Windows 8.1 will bring.

Matt Smith quits as Doctor Who
After 4 years of doing the show, 11th Doctor, Matt Smith has decided to put his sonic screwdriver back in the box and hang up his keys to the TARDIS. The BBC announced in the late hours of last night that Matt Smith will no longer play ‘The Doctor’ in Doctor Who after the 2013 Christmas Special of the show. Matt Smith is the 11th Doctor Who and it has not yet been confirmed who will take his place traveling through time and space.